We like to make homemade gifts for the grandparents for holidays. Since our family reads the blog, I don’t want to spoil this year’s Mother’s Day surprises.
Two years ago, my daughter (then a few months shy of three years’ old) decorated pillar candles with flowers she had picked and pressed.
This simple craft makes a fun gift for moms, grandmas and aunts.
- a wide pillar candle
- small votives or clear wax for melting
- pressed flowers or dried herbs for decorating
Directions for Decorating a Candle
1. Melt clear wax (next time we will probably do this in a tin can in a pot of water).
2. Paint the surface of the votive with the melted wax.
3. Apply the pressed flowers or dried herbs to the candle. If you use dried herbs, I find that long stems, like rosemary or lavender work well. Another option is dried citrus fruit.
4. Paint over the decorations with melted wax.