School’s out for summer! Whether your kids are in public school, private school, or homeschool, chances are they are looking forward to a summer break. And you may be, too: no more racing back and forth between activities, staying up to finish assignments, or studying for exams.
But what about the “Summer Slide”? Before you “veg out” for the summer, consider this: the average student may lose up to two months’ worth of learning over the summer vacation. And the loss is even more dramatic in skill-areas that require daily practice, like mathematics and literacy.
The answer isn’t more work at a desk–summer school has little effect on academic achievement. Rather, building authentic, fun, learning time into your day to day activities will keep your child’s mind (and body) active.
With a little bit of inspiration and practice, you will be able to spot the exciting, inexpensive educational opportunities that are everywhere.
Why should you take the Smart Summer Challenge? How about:
- INEXPENSIVE ACTIVITIES to stay busy and keep learning all summer!
- A FREE calendar of ideas developed by three professional, nationally-recognized educators!
- Promotion of YOUR summer learning ideas and blog posts!
- EXCITING PRIZES EVERY WEEK!
Staring June 27, Monday through Thursday, we’ll be blogging themed daily learning activities, crafts, and educational ideas.
Then, on Fridays, we’ll be opening up a “link” widget where you can share your own ideas from your archives or recent posts.
And what’s a party without door prizes? We have some great sponsors lined up and there will be exciting, high-value, prizing for randomly-selected participants.
If you do not have a blog, we would still love for you to leave your comments and come by the Smart Summer Challenge Facebook Page to add your ideas, questions, and even photographs of your summer learning!
TAKE THE SMART SUMMER CHALLENGE
So, are you up to the challenge to keep learning alive for your family all summer long? We hope you will:
1. “Like” the Smart Summer Challenge (http://www.facebook.com/smartsummerchallenge) on Facebook, if you have an account, and suggest it to your friends. We’ll be using this page to share ideas, questions, and successes from challenge participants.
2. Spread the word by suggesting the Facebook page to others, using the #smartsummer hashtag on Twitter, and grabbing our “Smart Summer Challenge” Badge for your sidebar and/or Smart Summer posts:
<a title="smart summer button '11" href="http://www.facebook.com/smartsummerchallenge"><img src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5194/5829107237_2558c61bf9_m.jpg" alt="smart summer button '11" width="150" height="150" /></a>
3. Visit our blogs from June 27 through August 5 and sharing a post (recent or from your archives) on the Friday “linky” widget.
And we have a free “gift” for you–a Smart Summer Challenge “party favor”. We made a calendar with themes for each week and ideas for every day of the week, including “field trip” suggestions for the weekends! You do NOT have to follow the calendar to participate in the Smart Summer Challenge. ANY and ALL learning ideas are welcomed! The calendar is merely a jumping off point to help get your creative juices flowing!
We hope you will join us to beat back boredom, stop the summer slide, and keep learning alive!
Filed under: Smart Summer Challenge