My daughter has made these Popsicle / craft stick pencil holders as end of the year teacher gifts the last two years and was very proud to see that her kindergarten teacher still uses it. This also makes a great “back to school” craft, whether your child goes to school outside the home or has homeschool.
- tin soup can
- Popsicle / craft sticks
- tacky glue
- rubber band
- acrylic paints/glitter/ribbons for decorating (optional)
1. Cut the top off of a soup can. Make sure there are no sharp edges.
2. Put a rubber band around the can (this is to hold the craft sticks in place).
3. Glue the sticks around the can, pushing them close together and making sure the bottoms are even. The rubber band will hold the sticks in place.
4. You can paint or glitter the sticks or tie a ribbon around the pencil holder. My daughter had been reading the Little House on the Prairie series and said she wanted, “…a simple red ribbon…so it looks like something a child would make on the prairie.” Ok, then!